Our Raising a Reader early literacy program has a new name – now we’re “Growing Readers” at Albany Public Library!
Did you know:
- Learning to read should begin before your child enters Kindergarten?
- The best way to encourage your child to read is for you to read to him or her?
- Families who read together improve their children’s vocabulary?
- Children with larger vocabularies become better readers?
Growing Readers is a free & self-paced program. It’s easy to participate – and the rewards are priceless. Register your little reader at any of our 7 locations!
How It Works:
- Register your child(ren) at any APL location.
- Track every time a book is read to your child by filling in an owl on the tracking sheet. Read the same book 50 times? It counts for 50 owls!
- Return the completed tracking sheet to any APL location and pick up your next sheet and a prize.
- Keep reading until you get to 1,000 books!
1,000 sounds like a lot of books – here’s the breakdown:
Complete the program in 1 year = 3 books / night
Complete the program in 3 years = 1 books / night
Complete the program in 5 years = 4 books / week
See? It’s easy! For more information, please call (518) 427-4310.