Pine Hills Branch
CURRENT PHASE: HIGH | (Updated 12/14/21)
- The following in-person services are suspended: meeting rooms, all indoor and outdoor programs.
- Indoor seating is allowed with social distancing in place.
- Study rooms may be used with the following requirements: maximum of two people per study room at a time, the door will stay open for airflow, and masks must be worn.
- Book and material returns must be done via interior and exterior book drops.
- All other services are available, including: browsing, pickup and checkout of materials, computer use, purchasing/replenishing CDTA Navigator bus passes, printing/copying/faxing/scanning, and reference assistance.
- Everyone, over age 2, must continue to wear a mask in all library buildings.
Albany Public Library has served the Pine Hills neighborhood from various locations since 1900, but our current branch is a cheerful, golden-bricked, two-story building that was once home to the New York Telephone company. Its 2009 renovation was recognized by the American Institute of Architects for its historic preservation and adaptive reuse. It is also a silver LEED-certified building, which means it is energy efficient and sustainably constructed with cost effective “green” systems.
With beautiful, light-filled common areas and reading nooks, a professionally curated art exhibition, and separate collections, spaces, and computers for adults, kids, and teens, the Pine Hills Branch has truly become an anchor in the upper Madison business district.
This branch also participates in the Community Court Action Program.
To get there by bus:
Route 763 – Madison Ave & South Allen St
Route 138 – South Allen St & Madison Ave
Route 114 – Western Ave & North Allen St
Route 10 – Western Ave & North Pine Ave
Route 11 – Western Ave & North Pine Ave
- Special Collections
- Ongoing Programs
- 24 public access computers
- Black & white printer ($0.10/page)
- Black & white photocopier ($0.10/page)
- Color photocopier ($.50/page)
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free notary service (call for schedule; photo ID required)
- Domestic: $1.75 for first page + $1 for each additional page
- International: $3.50 for first page + $3 for each additional page
- Sending only; no receiving
- Two community meeting rooms
- Three small-group study rooms
- Test proctoring
- Community Court Action Program | Make appointment by calling (518) 285-6165 or emailing 3JDCommunityCourtAccess@nycourts.gov
Art at APL
Art at APL is a juried fine arts exhibition at our Pine Hills Branch, and it is dedicated to showcasing the work of contemporary artists connected to the Capital Region. By integrating artwork into public spaces within the library, Art at APL gives you something beautiful to look at while you browse our collections.
Chinese Book Collection
This collection has 2,700 items including both fiction and nonfiction and materials for children and adults. We even have Chinese language magazines at the Pine Hills Branch. Our eLibrary has more than 100 Chinese language titles, too. All are available to borrow with your library card.