CURRENT PHASE: HIGH | The following in-person services are suspended at this time: study rooms, meeting rooms, in-person reference assistance, all indoor and select outdoor programs, indoor seating, and restrooms. Book and material returns must be done via interior and exterior book drops. There are capacity restrictions on the number of people who can be in each branch building at one time. | Updated 8/25/21
Core services are available in person during all phases of the pandemic | Pickup and checkout of material; browsing of book, music, movie, reference, and all other collections; computer and internet use; copying, printing, faxing, and scanning documents; and purchasing or replenishing CDTA Navigator bus passes.
NOW OPEN SUNDAY AFTERNOONS | Starting Sept. 12, 2021, the Bach Branch will be open on Sundays from 1 pm to 5 pm September through June.
Our lovely Bach Branch is tucked into the heart of the New Scotland neighborhood. Housed for years in a small section of the New Scotland Avenue School, the current branch was newly built in 2010. John J. Bach—an Albany native, 20-year member of the library Board of Trustees, and longtime Albany city school district teacher, principal, and superintendent—is the branch’s namesake. The 8,500-square-foot, one-story building features a glass-walled front rotunda with views of New Scotland Avenue and a Story Garden with seating behind the library.
This branch is a silver LEED-certified building, which means it is energy efficient and sustainably constructed with cost effective “green” systems. With separate spaces, collections, and computers for adults, kids, and teens, our very walkable branch has become a true neighborhood gathering place!
To get there by bus:
Route 13 – New Scotland Ave & Cardinal Ave
455 New Scotland Avenue Albany NY 12208 518-427-4300 ext. 3 (NEW!)
- Special Collections
- Ongoing Programs
- 16 public access computers
- Black & white printer ($0.10/page)
- Black & white photocopier ($0.10/page)
- Color photocopier ($.50/page)
- Scanner — coming soon
- Free Wi-Fi
- Domestic: $1.75 for first page + $1 for each additional page
- International: $3.50 for first page + $3 for each additional page
- Sending only; no receiving
- One community meeting room
- Two small-group study rooms
Jewish Book Nook
This children’s collection features mostly picture books, but also some board books and music CDs, with Judaic and Jewish culture themes. We collaborated with Jewish Family Services of Northeastern NY to create this collection. All items can be checked out with your library card.
Little Thinkers Doll Kits
Kids can check out dolls like Marie Curie, Galileo, Florence Nightingale, Barack Obama, and more with their library cards. Each kit includes a doll, biography, and activity sheets for kids to learn about each figure.
- Story Time – Youth Services librarians select wonderful, age-appropriate books, sing songs, and engage in rhyming and finger play. (kids & families)
- Tutoring – Tutors from local colleges and organizations help youth in 1st through 12th grades with homework, test taking or any school subject (by appointment; kids & teens)
- After School Art Program – A different art project every week (grades K through 5)
- LEGO Club – Build something cool with our LEGO kits (kids ages 5+)
- Adult Nonfiction Book Discussion – Nonfiction book discussions geared toward both popular taste and current events
- Game On for Teens – Play Xbox and Wii U in the community room every Friday (teens)