Art At APL
- HOURS: Show open Dec. 6, 2019 through May 2, 2020 at the Pine Hills Branch during regular hours
- THEME: Whether starting from oral histories, old snapshots, or actual memories, these artists examine the ways we try to hold on to, reconstruct, and reckon with memories throughout our lives. This process knits together our past to our present, forging a narrative of a life, examined.
- ARTISTS: David Austin, Leona Christie, Gavin Christie, Daesha Devon-Harris, Meighan Gale, Paul Miyamoto, Kenneth Ragsdale, Steve Rein, Gail Skudera
Art at APL, which is curated by Opalka Gallery, is a fine arts exhibition program at the Pine Hills Branch showcasing the work of contemporary artists connected to the Capital Region. The program, which began in 2013, integrates professional artwork into public spaces within the library, enriches the library experience, and gives visitors something interesting and educational to look at while they browse the collections. The program is funded in part by the Friends & Foundation of Albany Public Library. Art at APL is funded in part by the Friends & Foundation of Albany Public Library.
Enjoy Special Events & Programs from Art at APL
- Opening Receptions: Whenever we feature a new exhibition, we host an opening with wine, cheese, and great jazz–we essentially transform the branch library into a festive gallery space and invite everyone to an after-hours party.
- Special Tours: Our curator and some of the artists offer programs designed to give kids and adults a closer look at the art on display through their eyes. Art enthusiasts will learn to look at colors and materials and ask what the artists are trying to say. These programs also give visitors an opportunity to learn more about our artists’ creative process.