CURRENT PHASE: HIGH | The following in-person services are suspended at this time: study rooms, meeting rooms, in-person reference assistance, all indoor and select outdoor programs, indoor seating, and restrooms. Book and material returns must be done via interior and exterior book drops. There are capacity restrictions on the number of people who can be in each branch building at one time. | Updated 8/25/21
Core services are available in person during all phases of the pandemic | Pickup and checkout of material; browsing of book, music, movie, reference, and all other collections; computer and internet use; copying, printing, faxing, and scanning documents; and purchasing or replenishing CDTA Navigator bus passes.
Our Delaware Branch is a true jewel in this eclectic and vibrant neighborhood! Purchased and renovated in 2009, the exterior of a Prairie architecture-style funeral home retained its distinctive appearance, but the 9,500-square-foot interior was fully transformed into a modern neighborhood library. The Delaware Branch is a silver LEED-certified building, which means it is energy efficient and sustainably constructed with cost effective “green” systems.
Named an Outstanding Public Library Building in 2010 by the New York Library Association, this branch also boasts ample parking and outdoor space where we get to show off our Trolley Tree, a sculpture made from the trolley tracks that once ran along Delaware Avenue and a gift from the Delaware Merchants Association. With separate spaces and computers for adults, kids, and teens, and beautiful, cozy common areas and comfortable seating, this branch is truly a Delaware Area hot spot!
To get there by bus:
Route 18 – Delaware Ave & Hurlbut St
Route 6 – 2nd Ave & Hoffman Ave
331 Delaware Avenue Albany NY 12209 518-427-4300 ext. 4 (NEW!)
- Special Collections
- Ongoing Programs
- Off-street parking
- 16 public access computers
- Black & white printer ($0.10/page)
- Black & white photocopier ($0.10/page)
- Color photocopier ($.50/page)
- Scanner — coming soon
- Free Wi-Fi
- Domestic: $1.75 for first page + $1 for each additional page
- International: $3.50 for first page + $3 for each additional page
- Sending only; no receiving
- One community meeting room
- Three small-group study rooms
Spanish Book Collection
This collection has everything from board books for early readers, picture books, and chapter books for elementary school students to a wide selection of popular adult fiction and nonfiction titles. The collection includes both original Spanish titles and translations.
- Story Time – Youth Services librarians select wonderful, age-appropriate books, sing songs, and engage in rhyming and finger play (kids & families)
- Play & Grow Creative Playtime – Let your little ones tap into their imaginations during this unstructured play time. Kids can play with our toy kitchens, blocks, dolls, train sets, etc. (kids ages 0-5)
- LEGO Club – Build something cool with our LEGO kits (kids & teens)
- Tutoring – Tutors from local colleges and organizations help youth in 1st through 12th grades with homework, test taking or any school subject (by appointment; kids & teens)
- Teen Fika – “Fika” is Swedish for coffee, sweets and chatting with friends – enjoy after school snacks, conversation and group activities (teens & tweens)