Branches Now Operating with Updated Hours
All of APL’s branches are now operating under updated hours (effective Nov. 6, 2023).
Weekend hours see the biggest changes:
- Saturday hours are expanded at the three largest locations, with Howe, Pine Hills, and Washington Ave. now open 10 am to 5 pm on Saturdays.
- Arbor Hill/West Hill, Bach, and Delaware branches are closed on Saturdays and open on Sundays from 1 pm to 5 pm.
“Our weekend staffing levels across the system have been minimal for years, and we don’t have the budget to add staff. Concentrating our Saturday staff at our large, geographically diverse locations lets us expand Saturday hours at those branches and offer regular Saturday programs for working families, not to mention increasing our outreach efforts in the community,” said APL Executive Director Andrea Nicolay. “We are excited to try something different and hopefully reach new audiences.”
The new service hours also include weekday changes at Washington Ave., North Albany, and Arbor Hill/West Hill:
- Washington Ave. is open three mornings (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) and two evenings (Tuesday, Thursday) during the week.
- North Albany is open two mornings (Monday, Friday) and one evening (Wednesday) during the week.
- Arbor Hill/West Hill is open two mornings (Tuesday, Thursday) and two evenings (Monday, Wednesday) during the week.
The change was approved by the library’s Board of Trustees in September as a community engagement strategy to reach new audiences and increase APL’s presence at citywide events.
With the change in Saturday hours, APL’s open branches are now able to offer new and expanded programming. Upcoming Saturday programs include:
- Weekly Saturday Storytime & Play and Grow at 10:30 am at Washington Ave. (for ages 0-5 and families)
- Weekly Saturday Family Storytime at 10:30 am at Pine Hills (for ages 2 and older)
- Science experiments and hands-on lessons with educator Mr. Bill on Saturday, Nov. 11, at 1 pm at Washington Ave. (for ages 7-17)
- Collage art program with local picture book author/illustrator Elizabeth Zunon on Saturday, Nov. 18, at 2 pm at Pine Hills (for ages 4-10 and their families)
- Foraged fruit leather food class on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 10 am at Howe (for adults)
- Robotics demonstration by University at Albany’s Institute of Electrical Electronics Engineers on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 1 pm at Pine Hills (for all ages)
- Pinecone bird feeder craft on Saturday, Dec. 2, at 1 pm at Howe (for all ages)
- Live music by the Stringwynde flute and harp duo on Saturday, Dec. 9, at 2 pm at Pine Hills (for all ages)