Youth FX Open House Jan. 25 at Washington Ave. Branch
Youth FX invites the community to attend an open house at its new home base at Albany Public Library’s Washington Ave. Branch on Wednesday, Jan. 25, at 6:00-8:00 pm. During the open house, Youth FX leaders will provide tours of the office and project space, filmmakers will discuss upcoming workshops and learning opportunities, and students will show short films they produced.
“Albany Public Library is proud to continue our partnership with Youth FX by welcoming their new headquarters to the Washington Ave. Branch,” said APL Executive Director Scott Jarzombek. “Teaching young people how to create their own content via video and audio is a fantastic way to empower them. I love that Youth FX is giving the kids of this city a voice and opportunity to be heard.”
Youth FX, which started in Albany’s South End and is fiscally sponsored by Grand Street Community Arts, is an award-winning organization committed to inspiring and empowering youth in the city’s under-resourced neighborhoods through hands-on exploration of the creative and technical aspects of digital film and media arts.
“Youth FX is pleased to bring our base of operations to Albany Public Library. We are now in a central location in the city that is more accessible to our young filmmakers,” said Youth FX Program Director Bhawin Suchak, who founded the organization in 2008. “Albany teens rely on Youth FX to learn valuable skills that are in high demand in today’s technology-based world, and that also enable them to be more creative and express their ideas.”
Youth FX regularly provides free workshops at APL branches. These include:
• 5-Hour Film Projects: Teens learn the basics of filmmaking—visual storytelling, narrative structure, performance, camera skills, and editing techniques—to create a short film in just one day.
• Multi-week workshops: Participants go deeper into the filmmaking process to develop, shoot, and edit complete films. Experienced Youth FX filmmakers provide hands-on lessons in writing, directing, filming, and editing using professional equipment.
• Radio podcasting workshops: Teens shape their own story ideas, conduct interviews, write scripts, then record and edit audio resulting in stories that go on air.
Upcoming Youth FX workshops, which are all free and require registration, at Albany Public Library include:
• Feb. 20-21 (Mon-Tues) | 2-Day Podcasting Workshop
3:00-6:00 pm | Delaware Branch | Register at 463-0254| For ages 9-17
• Feb. 23 (Thurs) | Stop Motion Animation Program
1:00-4:00 pm | Washington Ave. Branch | Register at 427-4310 | For ages 6-10
• March 4 (Sat) | 5-Hour Film Project
12:00-5:00 pm | Arbor Hill/West Hill Branch | Register at 694-0596 | For ages 9-17
• March 7, 14, 21, 28 (Tues) | 4-Week Filmmaking Workshop
3:30-6:00 pm | Arbor Hill/West Hill Branch | Register at 694-0596 | For ages 9-17
• April 1 (Sat) | 5-Hour Film Project
12:00-5:00 pm | Pine Hills Branch | Register at 482-7911 | For ages 9-17
• April 5, 12, 17, 22 (Wed) | 4-Week Filmmaking Workshop
3:30-6:00 pm | Pine Hills Branch | Register at 482-7911 | For ages 9-17
• April 17-18 (Mon-Tues) | 2-Day Podcasting Workshop
1:00-4:00 pm | Washington Ave. Branch | Register at 427-4310 | For ages 9-17