Remember to Vote on Library Budget Tuesday, May 15
City voters go to the polls on Tuesday, May 15, to cast ballots on the library’s proposed 2019 budget.
Next year’s proposed operating budget of $7,153,022 is an increase of 2.0 percent over 2018.
If approved by voters, the increase means that the owner of a home assessed at $150,000 would pay an extra $4.89 more in library taxes in 2019.
The proposed budget includes funding for:
- Staffing to open some branches for additional morning and evening hours
- Additional eBooks for the digital collection
- Increased programming and activities, including early literacy initiatives
- More opportunities for groups to use meeting and study rooms
- Service to the North Albany neighborhood while the library board continues discussions with staff and the public about how to best serve this community
There are no library trustee positions up for election this year. The library’s vote is held in conjunction with the City School District of Albany.