Pine Hills Branch
IN-PERSON SERVICES AND CURBSIDE PICKUP | Available at this branch by appointment only (updated 2/15/21)
Get details about in-building services: Computer use, print/copy/fax/scan, reference and research assistance, notary, and CDTA Navigator cards.
How to use curbside pickup: Request books, DVDs, CDs, audiobooks, and museum passes online or by phone and pick them up curbside. Appointment is required to pick up items.
Appointments for all services can be scheduled Monday-Friday at 12:00-5:30 pm.
Please call (518) 482-7911 x221 to make an appointment at the Pine Hills Branch.
Albany Public Library has served the Pine Hills neighborhood from various locations since 1900, but our current branch is a cheerful, golden-bricked, two-story building that was once home to the New York Telephone company. Its 2009 renovation was recognized by the American Institute of Architects for its historic preservation and adaptive reuse. It is also a silver LEED-certified building, which means it is energy efficient and sustainably constructed with cost effective “green” systems.
With beautiful, light-filled common areas and reading nooks, a professionally curated art exhibition, and separate collections, spaces, and computers for adults, kids, and teens, the Pine Hills Branch has truly become an anchor in the upper Madison business district.
To get there by bus:
Route 763 – Madison Ave & South Allen St
Route 138 – South Allen St & Madison Ave
Route 114 – Western Ave & North Allen St
Route 10 – Western Ave & North Pine Ave
Route 11 – Western Ave & North Pine Ave
Branch Manager: Lauren Cardinal
517 Western Avenue Albany NY 12203 518-482-7911
- Special Collections
- Ongoing Programs
- 24 public access computers
- Black & white printer ($0.10/page)
- Black & white photocopier ($0.10/page)
- Color photocopier ($.50/page)
- Free Wi-Fi
- Free notary service (call for schedule; photo ID required)
- Domestic: $1.75 for first page + $1 for each additional page
- International: $3.50 for first page + $3 for each additional page
- Sending only; no receiving
- Two community meeting rooms
- Three small-group study rooms
- Test proctoring
Art at APL
Art at APL is a juried fine arts exhibition at our Pine Hills Branch, and it is dedicated to showcasing the work of contemporary artists connected to the Capital Region. By integrating artwork into public spaces within the library, Art at APL gives you something beautiful to look at while you browse our collections.
Chinese Book Collection
This collection has 2,700 items including both fiction and nonfiction and materials for children and adults. We even have Chinese language magazines at the Pine Hills Branch. Our eLibrary has more than 100 Chinese language titles, too. All are available to borrow with your library card.
- Story Time – Youth Services librarians select wonderful, age-appropriate books, sing songs, and engage in rhyming and finger play (kids & families)
- LEGO Club – Build something cool with our LEGO kits (kids & teens)
- It’s Elementary Kids Club – Crafts, Food Fun, Experiments, Story Time, or Wii (kids)
- Tutoring – Tutors from local colleges and organizations help youth in 1st through 12th grades with homework, test taking or any school subject (by appointment; kids & teens)
- Multicultural Book Discussion – Explore the world through its literature or view life through the eyes of different cultures (adults)
- English as Second Language Classes – Free intermediate level ESL classes taught by Capital Region BOCES (adults)