North Albany Branch Reopens After Extensive Renovation
Albany Public Library (APL) welcomed the community back to the newly renovated and expanded North Albany Branch with an open house celebration on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
The open house activities included: a ribbon cutting ceremony with remarks from library and community officials, tours of the renovated branch, meet-and-greet with the North Albany staff, and goody bags for children and teens. Officials participating in the ceremony were: Albany Public Library Executive Director Andrea Nicolay, Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan, City School District of Albany Superintendent Kaweeda Adams, North Albany Middle School Principal Andrea Piper, Albany Public Library Board of Trustees President Thomas McCarthy Jr., and Albany Public Library Head of East Branches Rebecca Lubin.
The North Albany Branch was closed in March 2020 when the entire system shut down in-person operations at the onset of the COVID pandemic. The library branch remained closed during the renovation and expansion of the North Albany Middle School by the City School District of Albany, which opened last month. Part of the school’s expansion replaced a former YMCA building, which opened at 616 North Pearl St. in 2005 and included a small space for APL’s North Albany Branch. The renovation included a 12% increase in library square footage, in addition to a public meeting room, two study rooms, a staff office, and two public bathrooms. A new entrance was created that solely serves the library. APL’s investment included a new service desk, new carpeting and paint, new furniture and shelving, and updated collections.
“Albany Public Library is thrilled to reopen the renovated North Albany Branch,” said APL Executive Director Andrea Nicolay. “It may be our smallest branch but it’s bigger and better than ever, with dedicated rooms for programs, activities, community meetings, and tutoring. As a full-service branch people can also take advantage of the collection, use computers, or relax and read. We’re excited to welcome everyone back to this great little library.”
While the North Albany Branch is the smallest of APL’s seven location, it offers services common to all of Albany’s public libraries, including:
• Browse the collection of books, DVDs, music CDs, magazines, and other materials
• Borrow items to bring home, including museum passes and WiFi hotspots
• Use computers, Chromebooks, and WiFi
• Access printers, scanners, and copiers
• Hold community meetings in the dedicated program room
• Use study rooms for tutoring or small-group meetings
• Participate in activities, like crafting sessions, and educational programs, like resume workshops
• Get assistance from trained librarians and staff
• Purchase and replenish CDTA Navigator bus passes
The North Albany Branch is located at 616 North Pearl St. in Albany and can be reached by calling (518) 427-4300 x6. North Albany is open to the public the following hours:
• Monday and Tuesday from 10 am to 6 pm
• Wednesday from 12 pm to 8 pm
• Thursday and Friday from 12 pm to 6 pm