Make the library your first stop for income tax assistance and resources this tax filing season!
The library hosts the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide programs, which provide free income tax assistance for low-income taxpayers on select days during the tax season.
What to Bring with You
We require taxpayers to bring the following to their tax preparation session:
- Photo identification
- Social Security card or letter from Social Security with Social Security Number on it
- Dependents’ and qualifying children’s Social Security cards
- All income and interest statements (such as W-2s, 1099s, etc.)
- Any other materials necessary to complete a tax return (such as education payments, itemized deductions, etc.)
Tax Forms at the Library
Albany Public Library stocks basic New York State tax forms and limited federal forms for individual tax filers only (none for businesses).
The following forms and instruction booklets will be available in the back lobby of the first floor at the Washington Avenue Branch during tax season. All of our branches will also stock the following forms and instructions. We cannot guarantee that all listed forms will always be in stock. Please contact your neighborhood branch for availability of tax forms at each location.
Federal Tax Forms:
- 1040, 1040-A & 1040-EZ Forms and Instructions
New York State Forms:
- IT-114: Claim for Family Tax Relief Credit
- IT-1099-R: Summary of Federal Form 1099-R Statements
- IT-2: Summary of W-2 Statements
- IT-201; IT-201-D; IT-201-V; IT-201-ATT: Resident Income Tax Return & Instructions; Resident Itemized Deduction Schedule; Payment Voucher for Income Tax Returns; Other Tax Credits and Taxes
- IT-203 & IT-203-I: Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
- IT-203-ATT: Other Tax Credits and Taxes
- IT-203-B; IT-203-D: Nonresident & Part-Year Resident Income Allocation and College Tuition Itemized Deduction Worksheet; Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Itemized Deduction Schedule
- IT-213 & IT-213-I: Claim for Empire State Child Credit
- IT-214 & IT-214-I: Claim for Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters
- IT-215 & IT-215-I: Claim for Earned Income Credit
- IT-216 & IT-216-I: Claim for Child and Dependent Care Credit
- IT-225 & IT-225-I: NYS Modifications
- IT-272 & IT-272-I: Claim for College Tuition Credit or Itemized Deduction
Where’s My Refund?
We know you want to know! Here’s where you can inquire about the status of your Federal and New York State refunds:
Check the status of your federal refund online, or call the Refund Hotline at (800) 829-1954. When you call, you will need to provide your social Security number, your filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of the refund shown on your tax return. Check out IRS Tax Topics for further information.
New York State
Check the status of your New York State tax refund online or call (518) 457-5149. You will need to know your social security number, filing status and exact whole-dollar amount of your refund to use this service.