Tax Assistance

Seeking a local coordinator for our 2018 free tax preparation program!

If you or someone you know has some time to dedicate to the program, & has good organizational & communication skills, please consider volunteering your time.  The program runs from January – April 2018.  You do NOT need to be an accountant or have experience preparing taxes.

Without a coordinator, we will not be able to offer this important service to our patrons.

Interested individuals should contact Jerry Seeley.

Make the library your first stop for income tax assistance and resources this tax filing season.

The library hosts the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide programs, which provide free income tax assistance for low-income taxpayers on select days during the tax season. Appointments are made by calling 2-1-1.


By-appointment Services: Call 2-1-1

All appointments for income tax preparation services at Albany Public Library are scheduled by the United Way’s 2-1-1 hotline. Simply dial 211 on your phone to be connected with an operator who can set up your appointment at the library.

What to Bring with You

We require taxpayers to bring the following to their tax preparation session: 

  • Photo identification
  • Social Security card or letter from Social Security with Social Security Number on it
  • Dependents’ and qualifying children’s Social Security cards
  • All income and interest statements (such as W-2s, 1099s, etc.)
  • Any other materials necessary to complete a tax return (such as education payments, itemized deductions, etc.)

Tax Forms at the Library

Albany Public Library stocks basic New York State tax forms and limited federal forms for individual tax filers only (none for businesses).

The following forms and instruction booklets will be available in the back lobby of the first floor at the Washington Avenue Branch during tax season. All of our branches will also stock the following forms and instructions. We cannot guarantee that all listed forms will always be in stock. Please contact your neighborhood branch for availability of tax forms at each location.

Federal Tax Forms: 

  • 1040, 1040-A & 1040-EZ Forms and Instructions

New York State Forms: 

  • IT-114: Claim for Family Tax Relief Credit
  • IT-1099-R: Summary of Federal Form 1099-R Statements
  • IT-2: Summary of W-2 Statements
  • IT-201; IT-201-D; IT-201-V; IT-201-ATT: Resident Income Tax Return & Instructions; Resident Itemized Deduction Schedule; Payment Voucher for Income Tax Returns; Other Tax Credits and Taxes
  • IT-203 & IT-203-I: Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
  • IT-203-ATT: Other Tax Credits and Taxes
  • IT-203-B; IT-203-D: Nonresident & Part-Year Resident Income Allocation and College Tuition Itemized Deduction Worksheet; Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Itemized Deduction Schedule
  • IT-213 & IT-213-I: Claim for Empire State Child Credit
  • IT-214 & IT-214-I: Claim for Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters
  • IT-215 & IT-215-I: Claim for Earned Income Credit
  • IT-216 & IT-216-I: Claim for Child and Dependent Care Credit
  • IT-225 & IT-225-I: NYS Modifications
  • IT-272 & IT-272-I: Claim for College Tuition Credit or Itemized Deduction 

Some other state forms are available online: New York State  Other US states

Where’s My Refund?

We know you want to know! Here’s where you can inquire about the status of your Federal and New York State refunds:


Check the status of your federal refund online, or call the Refund Hotline at (800) 829-1954. When you call, you will need to provide your social Security number, your filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of the refund shown on your tax return. Check out IRS Tax Topics for further information. 

New York State

Check the status of your New York State tax refund online, or call (518) 457-5149. You will need to know your social security number, filing status and exact whole-dollar amount of your refund to use this service.