Did you know that last tax season, Albany Public Library’s Tax Assistance Program served over 1,500 taxpayers who collectively received over two million dollars in tax returns? Every year, the library hosts the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) and AARP Tax-Aide programs, which provide free income tax assistance for low-income taxpayers (household income limit of $53,000) on select days during the 2015 tax filing season. We have walk-in service every Saturday at our Washington Avenue Branch. We also have appointments available throughout the week at various branches. See the flyer below for more information. Check out this printable flier with 2015 tax help information, and come on in and get this annual task off your to-do list!
2015 Walk-in Services
10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays, February 7 through April 11: Assistance is provided on a first-come, first-served basis at the Washington Avenue Branch. No appointments or reservations. For more information, call the Reference Department at 427-4303.
By-appointment Services: Call 2-1-1
All appointments for income tax preparation services at Albany Public Library branches are scheduled by the United Way’s 2-1-1 hotline. Simply dial 211 on your phone to be connected with an operator who can set up your appointment at the library.
WEDNESDAYS from Feb. 11 to April 15
Hours Vary — By Appointment Only
Washington Ave. Branch
SATURDAYS from Feb. 14 to April 4
1 p.m. to 3 p.m. — By Appointment Only
MONDAYS and FRIDAYS from Feb. 9 to Feb. 27
12 p.m. to 4 p.m. — By Appointment Only
Arbor Hill/West Hill Branch
TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS from Feb. 10 to Feb. 26
12 p.m. to 4 p.m. — By Appointment Only
What to Bring with You
We require taxpayers to bring the following to their tax preparation session:
- Photo identification
- Social Security card or letter from Social Security with Social Security Number on it
- Dependents’ and qualifying children’s Social Security cards
- All income and interest statements (such as W-2s, 1099s, etc.)
- Any other materials necessary to complete a tax return (such as education payments, itemized deductions, etc.)
Tax Forms at the Library
Albany Public Library stocks basic New York State tax forms and limited federal forms for individual tax filers. We do not stock tax forms for businesses.
The following forms and instruction booklets are available in the back lobby of the first floor at the Washington Avenue Branch during tax season. Please note that we cannot guarantee that all listed forms will always be in stock. Please contact your neighborhood branch for availability of tax forms at each location.
Federal Tax Forms:
- 1040 Form
- 1040-A Form
- 1040-EZ Form
Please note: we will not be receiving 2014 instruction booklets, any schedule forms, or additional forms from the IRS. To order federal forms and instructions for delivery to your residence, call the IRS at 1-800-829-3676. Some other Federal forms are available online.
New York State Forms:
- IT-201: Resident Income Tax Return
- IT-201 Instructions
- IT-201-ATT Other Tax Credits and Taxes
- IT-203 & IT-203-I: Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return
- IT-203-ATT: Other Tax Credits and Taxes
- IT-203-B: Other New York State and City of New York Taxes and Tax Credits
- IT-203-D: Nonresident and and Part-Year Resident Income Allocation and College Tuition Itemized Deduction Worksheet
- IT-213 & IT-213-I: Claim for Empire State Child Credit
- IT-214: Claim for Real Property Tax Credit for Homeowners and Renters
- IT-215 & IT-215-I: Claim for Earned Income Credit
- IT-216 & IT-216-I: Claim for Child and Dependent Care Credit
- IT-272 & IT-272-I: Claim for College Tuition Credit or Itemized Deduction
Some other state forms are available online:
Where’s My Refund?
We know you wanna know! Here’s where you can inquire about the status of your Federal and New York State refunds:
Check the status of your federal refund online, or call the Refund Hotline at (800)829-1954. When you call, you will need to provide your social Security number, your filing status, and the exact whole dollar amount of the refund shown on your tax return. Check out IRS Tax Topics for further information.
New York State
Check the status of your New York State tax refund online, or call (518)457-5149. You will need to know your social security number, filing status and exact whole-dollar amount of your refund to use this service.